CONTACT ME FOR PROGRAMS, ARTICLES, TEACHER RESOURCES,
Teacher resources free! For discussion/activity sheet, quiz, test, and keys, send your name, school district, city, state and zip code. I will e-mail you a folder with resources.
MY CREDENTIALS & PROGRAMS
* worked at newspapers as a reporter, photojournalist, and foreign correspondent covering the West Pacific for Gannett. A former editor and copy editor for the San Antonio Express-News.
* taught grades sixth through twelve, mostly English and journalism at schools in Florida and Texas.
* former instructor for Institute of Children’s Literature, a college-accredited long-distance program that teaches adults how to write for children.
* presented programs at schools in Florida, Guam, Hawaii, and Texas. Keynote speaker at an International Christian Women's Conference in Japan.
* guest lecturer on writing topics at universities in Hawaii and Texas, bookstores such as Barnes and Noble, and for writers' guilds and groups such as Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI).
* studied writing, literature and journalism at six universities, including graduate studies.
For adult writing seminars and workshops, the craft of writing tailored for any level, beginner, intermediate, or advanced.
Domestic abuse (child and elder abuse) and Foster Care, background of IN THE SHADOW OF CAPE FEAR.
Hazing and Harrassment in schools, the background of GRIDIRON GIRLS.
WWII history in Pacific, especially Guam and Philippines; survivalist WWII Japanese soldier who hid on Guam; historical and cultural background of NO SURRENDER SOLDIER.
Elements of a short story –Students will learn what makes a successful story arc. They will learn to begin at the point of impact, give a main character a problem/goal, increase conflict and escalate obstacles, resolve and end the story.
Research, with the emphasis on primary sources – Like a professional investigator, students will learn how to research, interview, and tap into primary sources. I will show examples from my novel and/or NF books about Turkey and refugees, and as an investigative education and political reporter.
Careers in writing (or how to make a living in the arts) – Opportunities abound for professional writers, and I’ve probably done most of those jobs – reporter, author, freelancer, PR, marketing. Students will discover how they, too, can begin to gather experience and “clips.”
Poetry – Introduces students to different meters, a variety of poetry, and how to write poems. Interactive.
Schedule: Presentations are 30, 45, or 60 minutes long for grades 5-adults. Workshops, 1-2 hrs.
Honorarium: 50-mile radius from Granbury, TX. Others, travel expenses added.
$200 for 30-minute author video-chat via Skype or Zoom
$400 for 45-minute author chat in classroom.
$500 for 1 program in person.
$900 for 1 workshop. (Workshops allow more time for hands-on activities.)